This article is part of the Help & How-To
Difficulty: Hard Time: Considerable
Whether you are a DJ or a beginner, editing and mixing music is an important skill. In order to edit and mix MP3 files, follow these steps.
- Download and Launch MP3 Editor for Free
- In the Welcome Screen, click New File
- In the New Sample screen, select Sample Rate ( Higher is Better ) and the Channels ( Stereo is better)
- At the top right, in the Ribbon, select Open to open an existing MP# file in your PC
- Find and select the MP3 file that you will mix into and that you will edit . In this case, we chose Justin Bieber’s “All Around the World” MP3 track, as shown.
- We now wait until MP3 Editor processes the music file we chose. Just wait a little.
- After the file is done, select the Zoom+, at the bottom left, as is shown below….in order to edit, we need the file to be greatly zoomed…
- After zooming, the green waves should be very small and distinct….now we can edit the file
- We are going to edit the file. Click on any portion you want to edit, and drag to create a blue highlight, as shown…..
- In the Editing tab, under the Common, select Delete
- You will now be deleting the selected portion of the song.. ( in our example, we deleted the silence right before “All Around the World” starts
- Now just click to select where you want to mix the file…. a yellow marker will appear
- Now on the same Edit tab, under the Extend option, select Mix File… this will allow you to mix a file into the current track
- Since the first track is a very dancy and club tune, in our example, we choose to mix a slower tune….so we chose to mix Drake’s The Motto…
- Now select the part ( in %) that you want to mix… for our example, we will mix 50% of the The Motto into the first track, “All Around the World”
- As seen above, you must specify Increase Selection, if the mixed file is larger than the original file
- Now Press OK… wait until the Editor is done..
- Now you have a mixed file….
- To create fade-ins. Click and Drag to select a Blue Region. Go to Effects, and select Fade In( to go low volume to normal)…. the result of a fade-in is shown below….
- To Create Fadeouts, highlight a Blue Region and Select Fade Out… the result is shown below…
- Finally, to Create Echoes…. click and drag to create the Blue Region… In Effects, click Echo
- Then, just fine-tune your echo settings or use the presets available…
- This completes the tutorial. You now have and edited and mixed MP3 file… to save… Please SAVE FILE in .WAV, and then use a Converter tool to convert to MP3
- Congrats! Happy Editing and Mixing!
Music depicted, © Copyright Universal Music Group. Please respect copyright when editing or mixing. Note that selling remixes of copyrighted music is illegal in the U.S.