Microsoft is proudly reporting that an Apple Fan boy dumped his iPhone in favor of a Windows Phone. Not only did he break ties with Cupertino, but the fan boy went one step further and wrote a letter to Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer. He sung Windows Phone praises and eventually put his money to action and bought a Nokia Lumia 900. Here is the letter in its entirety…mind you, this is an Apple fan who took to the pen and paper to laud Windows Phone.
From: Scott G.
Sent: Friday, April 13, 2012 1:50 PM
To: Steve Ballmer
Subject: Apple fanboy loves his Windows phone
Hopefully this will get to you. Your team deserves credit for producing an excellent product in the newest version of Windows Phone. Yes, I am writing from my MacBook Pro. And I have been a fairly loyal Apple customer over the years. However, I recently bought a Nokia Lumia 900 and intend on keeping it. For full disclosure, I was sure to make sure it could be returned after a dismal experience with an Android phone.
My reasons for switching are:
- Call quality. I actually use my phone as a phone. That concept seems to get lost in many product reviews. One of my employees actually thanked me for getting rid of my iPhone as it was so much easier to hear me. I apologize for the tedium but it means a great deal to me and my business.
- Simplicity. My family owns five vehicles, including two Fords with Sync. The 4S didn’t support all functions in any of them. My Nokia 900 was flawless out of the box. It was refreshing to have something that just worked. I cannot afford to have my primary means of communication be a science experiment.
- No junk software. Speaking of science experiments, I also tried a Motorola Razr. Software that cannot be deleted and restarts itself? A company with questionable privacy rules. Software that terrified my poor in-laws? I guess if you like spending your day tinkering with your phone, it’s pretty cool. Maybe it beats playing with your Star Wars dolls?
- Simplicity again. Everything after set up has been painless as well. Adding apps, setting up email accounts, etc. I thought the iPhone was good. Your set up was actually smoother and took less time. Same for Wi-Fi, in-car Bluetooth, etc.
- Speed. The 900 doesn’t seem to lag the way the iPhone did at times. Everything seems to execute quickly. That I don’t think about it is probably the best compliment.
- Live Tiles. It’s a minor thing but the Metro tiles are pretty cool. I just like the look.
Windows, Windows Phone,and Microsoft are registered trademarks of Microsoft and the Microsoft group of companies in the U.S. and other countries.
- Will Microsoft build its own smartphone? ‘We’ll see,’ says CEO (fiercewireless.com)
- Microsoft Aims to Take Down Apple’s iPad – And Maybe iPhone, Too, Ballmer Says (forbes.com)
- Windows Phone Outselling the iPhone in China After Merely Two Months (pocketnow.com)