For headphones, there are only a couple of brands that really stand out. Ranked by popularity and sales.
Why Beats? Stylish, durable headphones that don’t disappoint in audio quality.
Why Skullcandy? The Park City company designs all their headphones in-house and builds their own audio drivers. The result? The purest sound experience ever…
Why SOUL by Ludacris? Perhaps the most stylish and colorful headphones to grace the market, SOUL come with plenty of ear-popping bass…
Tips for Drivers
- Bigger drivers are better and produce better sound…
- Look for drivers made from reputable companies such as Sony, Skullcandy, Beats, and Sennheiser…
- For example, a Sony 10mm driver is better than a no-brand 16mm driver
Tips for Cables
As far as cables go, look for the following qualities:
- If possible, the cable should be Detachable
- The cable should be made out of rubber ( or other thick, tangle-free material )
- If possible, the cable should be straight not at right angles
- To prevent from bending, the cable should be coiled.
- The cable should either plug in securely or screw in
- The end of the plug should be made of gold or silver
Tips for Cups ( Cans )
- For best fit, the the ear cups should be padded with leather or leatherette
- Expensive versions, have articulated cups… which allows stereo to go to mono when the cups are swiveled
What do the Specs Mean
Sensitivity: The sound pressure level produced in a quiet environment( This is a measure shows how loud the sound gets in a normal environment)
Frequency Response: Describes the range of sounds it can output ( Bigger ranges are better)
For headphones, there are three essential qualities you need to look for.
Tips for Sound & Audio Quality
Balance is Key
You may be hard-pressed to find headphones with good Treble. Most headphones have tons of bass that over-power the music…. Good headphones have plenty of treble to match the bass.
Crystal over Muddle
It goes without saying, but great sound quality means crystal sound. Don’t be fooled and get headphones with muddling bass… crisp vocals and crystal audio are more important than bass…
Buying Advice For Ear Buds
Types: On-ear vs. In-ear
On-ear earphones are generally more:
- better bass
- with a wider range of frequencies
In-ear earphones are generally more:
Note: Expensive in-ears are usually equal if not better to their open air counterparts.
- Skullcandy Hesh 2.0 Over the Ear S6HSDZ(premiermicrosoft.com)
- Soul by Ludacris SL150 (premiermicrosoft.com)