Troubleshoot and Fix your Problems Fast!
Difficulty: Moderately Hard Time: Considerable
In order to install Windows 8 on VirtualBox, follow these steps. It’s best to install the Windows Consumer Preview, as it has less bugs than the Developer Preview.
- Log in into your PC.
- Click Start
- Open your preferred browser.
- Download and Install VirtualBox.
- Open Virtual Box
- Click New in the upper left hand corner, as shown below.
- The Create New Virtual Machine Wizard will appear. Click Next.
- The Wizard will ask for the OS Name and Type. Note: You can choose whatever name. Make sure the name is specific. Specify 32-bit if your PC is 32 bit. Then, Click Next.
- Specify the Memory for the OS. Make sure you have sufficient to run both your current OS and the new OS.
- You will now be asked what kind of format you want for Windows 8. Select VDI as shown. Click Next.
- This will open the Virtual Disk Creation Wizard. Click Next
- Then, choose Fixed Size in storage details.
- Select a good size for the hard drive capacity. For Windows 8, you need at least 20GB or higher. Click Next
- VirtualBox will now give you a Summary of the Virtual Hardisk. Click Create.
- Now VirtualBox will now give a Summary of the Virtual Machine. Click Create.
- VirtualBox will now begin to create the virtual machine. You should see a progress bar of some kind.
- Next, go to Settings and make the following changes: Settings>Storage>IDE Controller>Empty>Attributes>Choose a virtual CD/DVD file. Choose the Windows 8 Consumer Preview .iso that you downloaded via Microsoft.
- In Settings>System, Enable IO/APIC, and adjust Base Memory for optimal performance if necessary. Enable Absolute Pointing Device.
- In Settings>Display, go to the Video tab and adjust the Video Memory if necessary. Also enable 3D Acceleration and 2D Video Acceleration.
- In Audio, make sure that the Audio Controller is the right one on your PC.
- Run the OS. Make any adjustments as is deemed necessary for optimal performance.
- Running Windows 8 on your Mac (macworld.com)